Saturday, November 5, 2011

He Builds Our Faith

(Picture source at bottom of page)
And Jesus said to him, "If you can? All things are possible to him who believes."  Mark 9:23


Faith.  We know that it is impossible to please God without it.  But boy is it hard to have sometimes.  Have you ever been struggling through a tough situation and have had someone (well-meaning of course) tell you, "you just need to have faith"?  Easier said than done!  Your response might even be "I know I need to have faith!  I'm trying, but it's difficult!"  (Notice I said difficult, not impossible).  There was a man who sought Jesus who probably thought the same thing.

Immediately, when the entire crowd saw Him, they were amazed and began running up to greet Him.  And He asked them, "What are you discussing with them?"  And one of the crowd answered Him, "Teacher, I brought You my son, possessed with a spirit........I told your disciples to cast it out, and they could not do it."  ........."It has often thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destory him.  But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!"  And Jesus said to him, "'If You can?' All things are possible to him who believes."  Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, "I do believe; help my unbelief." Mark 9:15-23

This is a prayer that I have offered up to God on more than one occasion.  I don't want to doubt!  I know that  faith is a very critical part of my walk with God.  But sometimes situations look really big, bigger than I can handle.  But God encourages me to give it to Him, and have FAITH!  He does the same for young David Childers, a small soccer player-turned football kicker in the movie Facing the Giants.  Faced with need to kick a field goal from a distance farther than he thinks he possibly can, David, with the help of his coach Grant Taylor, is encouraged to give his best to God, and to trust Him.  When David asks God for His help, God comes through!  What happens when the father of the boy that Jesus is talking to places his situation in the Savior's hands?

"When Jesus saw that a crowd was rapidly gathering, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, "You deaf and mute spirit, I command you, come out of him and do not enter him again." (v. 25)

The Lord met the father where he needed the most strength.  And because God is still God, and because God is still good, will He not do the same for you?  If he could help this man's faith, He can help ours!  We just have to ask!

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."  Matt 7:7-8

John 20:24-29
Matthew 7:7-11






No comments:

Post a Comment