Saturday, October 29, 2011

He Heals!




Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick."  Luke 5:31

(Picture source at the bottom of posting)

So, I haven't been feeling well lately.  Tummy troubles that have only gotten worse as I've gotten older, seasonal allergies, anxiety, and depression.  These are all things that deteriorate my body, mind and spirit.  This deterioration, I suppose, is to be expected, since Jesus tells us in the Book of John chapter 10 verse 10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."


So, God gives life, and the thief (Satan) destroys.  So where does sickness come from?   The thief!  Who takes sickness away?  God does!!  As I am making doctors appointments and visiting my local pharmacy to tackle these sicknesses in my body, I am prompted to read about the amazing healing Jesus did in the New Testament.

I went to the book of Luke, in search of the mentioning of Jesus healing and found quite a bit!

Luke 6:6-11
Luke 7:1-10
Luke 7:11-17
Luke 11:14
Luke 13:10-17

And one of my favorites, which I will read to you: Luke 8:40-56

Now when Jesus returned, a crowd welcomed Him, for they were all expecting Him.  Then a man named Jairus, a ruler of the synagogue, came and fell at Jesus' feet, pleading with Him to come to his house because his only daughter, a girl of about twelve, was dying.  As Jesus was on His way, the crowds almost crushed Him.  And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years, but no one could heal her.  She came up behind Him and touched the edge of His cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped.  "Who touched me?" Jesus asked.  When they all denied it, Peter said, "Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you."  But Jesus said, "Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me."  Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at His feet.  In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched Him and how she had been instantly healed.  Then He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you.  Go in peace."  While Jesus was still speaking, someone came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue ruler.  "Your daughter is dead," he said.  "Don't bother the Teacher anymore."  Hearing this, Jesus said to Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just believe, and she will be healed." When He arrived at the house of Jairus, He did not let anyone go in with Him except Peter, John and James, and the child's father and mother.  Meanwhile, all the people were wailing and mourning for her.  "Stop wailing," Jesus said.  "She is not dead but asleep."  They laughed at Him, knowing that she was dead. But He took her by the hand and said, "My child, get up!"  Her spirit returned, and at once she stood up.  Then Jesus told them to give her something to eat.  Her parents were astonished, but He ordered them not to tell anyone what had happened.


Something I see when I read about Jesus healing people, particularly this passage: it took faith on the part of the person being healed for the healing to occur.  I must believe that He can heal me if I have any hopes of actually being healed!  Because ultimately, it is not the doctors I visit or the medicine I take that does the healing in my body, it is Him.  A way to my healing might be by my obeying Him to visit the doctor or to take the prescribed medication, but He is the ultimate Healer.
But, something else I noticed is that Jesus does not just cleanse people of their sickness, but He offers them a place with Him in Heaven also.  I was moved to read Jesus call the woman with the 12 year sickness "Daughter."  And He called the little girl that He raised from the dead "My child."  So Jesus is not just an awesome Doctor, but He, being God, is also a very awesome Father.

So as I seek Him to heal me, I know and believe that He can and will heal me, with all the love of such an awesome Father.  I can picture Him taking my hand and gently teaching me how to live without these sicknesses.  And if He doesn't heal me in a time frame that I think I would be comfortable with?  Well, I have to remember "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28


Are you struggling with a sickness, big or small? Guess what?  He can heal!  Talk to Him, tell Him how you feel, and let Him lead you to healing.


Song for this post:
I Will Rise -Chris Tomlin

Blessings!
~A

Stethoscope picture source
http://healthcaremonitors.info/

No comments:

Post a Comment